Thank you for your interest in the MATFab. In order to use our facilities please do the following:
1. Please create a new user profile in BookIt Lab (https://core.bookitlab.com/uiowa/Login.aspx). You only need to provide information to the sections that have the red asterisks on the new user page. If your lab has an existing User group please select that group (name should appear as you start typing). If your group does not have an existing user group set up, then you should select the “New Users” group and contact email@example.com with your PI’s name and an MFK for billing. If you are an external user, please select "New Users" group and contact us with additional information about your institution/company and billing information. Then, we will get your lab’s user group in to our system along with the necessary accounting information. In the future, you will use this account to reserve instrument time, request training, or use other resources that our facility has available.
2) We embrace a culture of safety here in the MATFab facility. In order to use the facility all users must first meet with a staff member to undergo site specific and instrument specific training. In addition to our own site-specific requirements, we require that students show proof of compliance with EHS standards that exist for lab areas on campus. We would like students to send a staff member proof of the following lab safety courses before using the facility:
o W115OS (HazCom with GHS)
o W008CM (Lab Chemical Safety)
o W157CM (PPE Awareness for labs)
o W07HAZ (Hazardous waste for labs)
o W485CM (Chemical Fume Hoods)
o W524HZ (Biohazardous waste bin training)
All of this information can be found at the university’s EHS website:
After completing all the requirements for EHS, go to the summary page and print a copy of your completed status in each module. If you have already completed one or more of the above quizzes for another lab or course, you do not have to take the quiz again, but we still want a copy of your completion for our records. Please send these to firstname.lastname@example.org.
3) Please read through the MATFab Laboratory manual.
4) Once you have completed all of the above online training, submitted your documents and read the MATFab Laboratory manual, please contact us to schedule site-specific safety training . You will need to you will sign a safety document that demonstrates you know the laboratory safety guidelines.
5) You will work with individual staff members for training on specific instruments once you reserve training for the first use of an instrument in BookItlab. After approval from the MATFab staff we will be able to give you access to the laboratory doors using your ID card.
Welcome to the MATFab facility and please do not hesitate to email us at email@example.com if you have any questions.